Sunday, March 16, 2014

Playing Pretend- Realizations of Single Parenthood

Over Spring Break, I had a small glimpse of what it's like to be a single mom. 
Two kids, a dog, two cats; the kids' schedules and my schedule (including william's sonic shifts and my work); friends over and sleepovers; plus all the house stuff- chore reminders, meal planning, chauffeuring, dishes, cleaning - it never ends. It's enough to wear you out. 
My week was temporary. At the end of it, I got to hand over kids and keys and go home. But it's permanent for the single parents, the ones who wake up every day and raise kids alone. And I honestly don't know how they do it- well, there is one way, and that's with God's grace. 
I can't possibly imagine the extent of what it's like to be a single parent, but given a taste gives me empathy. It makes me wonder how you sweet ones keep going, and how you find the strength to do so. And it hit me. It's found when the kids have passed out on the couch, you're pulling covers over them, and love for that little life sweeps through you. It's found when the dog follows you as you turn off lights and check the locks, and you allow His peace to restore your soul as you prepare to shower and crawl into bed. It's found when you finally get a proper thank you or offer of consideration. It's found when you have five minutes to do your Jesus time. It's found in the success of not strangling a kid today (partly kidding, partly being truthful). 
If you're a single parent, know that there is help out there. Know that your kids are gonna be fine. Know that Christ is walking ahead of you, with you, and behind both you and your kiddos. 
And for the kids? Give your parents a break once in a while. Realize the multitude of things they (hopefully) do for you. Offer to help a little more. Tell them how appreciated they are. 
And everybody else? Pray for single families, and figure out how you specifically can bless them. 
xx, bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment