Sunday, December 30, 2012

I was always Bess...



Growing up, my two best friends and I absolutely adored Nancy Drew. We devoured each book. Our play dates consisted of going straight to the computer to play the latest Nancy Drew mystery video games. At recess, we’d pretend that we had a mystery to solve- Tiffany would be Nancy, Caroline would be George, and inevitably I was Bess. Maybe my memory is off… but I always chafed at the role of Bess. She was too boy crazy, into fashion, and known as the cautious one. I was none of the above…okay, I was cautious- but that’s not the point.

There was something so inspiring about Nancy Drew. She was an educated young woman who solved people’s problems. She was a loyal friend. She was a loving daughter. She was persistent. She wasn’t afraid of a challenge. Nancy could always get herself out of the situations she found herself in.
 
All those years of reading Nancy Drew books rubbed off on me. I figured I’d share my knowledge with you, lovely readers!

1)      Come prepared. Okay, maybe not as prepared as me…I carry a purse rivaling Mary Poppins’. BUT! Like Nancy, I carry a little bit of everything and if I don’t have it, I make what I do have work.

2)      Wear sensible shoes. You never know what stone wall you’ll have to climb, how many bushes you’ll crawl through,  or what river you might be forced to wade through.

3)      Don’t limit yourself. Although mostly known as an amateur detective, Nancy dipped her toes in many jobs, including actress, archaeologist, baby-sitter, fundraiser, lifeguard, legal assistant, dancer, and treasure hunter. You have many different gifts, too- don’t be afraid to use them.

4)      Be well-rounded. Nancy was known to be keen on parties and enjoyed having a good time with her friends, but she was always willing to roll up her sleeves and do the dirty work.

5)      Reinforcements are a must. Gal pals George and Bess, and Nancy’s boyfriend Ned were always great sounding boards and often followed Nancy into adventure. They were supportive and they were willing to go the distance for Nancy. We all need friends like that in our lives.
 
 

6)      Be different. The first Nancy Drew book was written in the 1930’s- a time that wasn’t used to seeing many women in positions such as detective. Nancy didn’t go the traditional route and she rarely did what was expected of her. Her class, genius, modesty, compassion, and sense of humor are unparalleled.

Nancy Drew has stood the test of time. I can certainly see why.

With love, beth

No comments:

Post a Comment