Monday, October 7, 2013

somewhere between raising hell and amazing grace


I'm kinda loud. Usually outspoken. Pretty social. I won't go as far to talk to a brick wall, but if you're standing alone, I WILL strike up a conversation with you. It's in my genes. (BUT, I can also shut up and listen pretty darn well...not in the genes)

I'm opinionated. I don't always voice those opinions; only those closest to me can read me well enough to know if I agree or disagree. Unless I truly disagree, I won't overwhelm you with my thoughts. 

I've noticed our society has this need- no, actually, it isn't a need; it's a desire- to be heard, about everything. Every one has an opinion on every thing. And we all like to think that our opinion, our voice, is the most important in the room. It doesn't matter if we are right or wrong, or if we hurt someone's feelings by squashing their thoughts, or if we ignore someone else's words. We only care about our voice being heard. 

If that isn't Satan's influence in the world, then I don't know what is. 

We, myself included, need to back the truck up*** and check our opinions with God's Word. What are HIS truths? Should we not be communicating those instead?

Words are not only used to convey a message; they also reveal the attitude of our hearts. The reveal how much we respect others. They reveal us, in essence.  

So often, we forget that with grace, even difficult truths can be communicated. Colossians 4:6 commands us to "let our conversation always be full of grace." 

Grace: undeserved favor that extends unconditional love to another

So, basically we're called to speak truth, speak life, have conversations full of grace, and extend unconditional love to others...including people we might disagree with. Whoa that's alot. But the best part is that we don't have to do it alone, ever. 


Rather than trying to drive home your point, why don't you try understand theirs for a change? May we view each conversation as an opportunity to extend grace. 



~bethany


***Sidenote: I said that phrase at middle school youth group the other night, and 30 boys responded by making truck-reverse-honking-horn sounds. OYY. 

***Sidenote 2: apparently I use weird phrases...in the last month alone, I've had to explain three different phrases to my best friend... 

No comments:

Post a Comment