Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Chasing Mavericks


I consider myself a picky movie goer. I don't go to just any movie. It has to be a story that pulls me in. A movie with life. A movie so good that it can suck the reality of your life away and sweep you into a beautiful world of fantasy.

About a year ago I heard of this film called Of Men and Of Mavericks. You see, an actress/author/creative idol of mine, Abigail Spencer, (find her here and here!) mentioned it on her Twitter page. So I did some International Movie DataBase searching and discovered this beautiful story- a movie based upon the life of surfing extraordinaire Jay Moriarty. A kid with a dream. A sixteen-year-old kid who set out to conquer Mavericks with the help of his mentor and guide, Frosty Hesson.

I mean, c'mon, with that storyline and a cast that includes Gerard Butler, Elisabeth Shue, Leven Rambin, AND Abigail Spencer? I'm in.

What's a maverick, you ask? Mavericks are HUGE waves, found in Half Moon Bay, California. For years people didn't believe in their existence. They build and build, crashing and colliding and racing towards shore. They can be anywhere between 25 feet and 100 feet tall. It takes practice, training, and courage to surf those suckers. Would YOU want to surf that kind of wave?

So anyways, the storyline got me, hook, line and sinker. I was convinced it would be a great movie, and based on everything I had heard about the production, it was a great movie. Over the months between filming and release, the name was changed from Of Men and Mavericks to Chasing Mavericks.

October 26th could not come fast enough. I've been waiting for this movie for a while, people. I had a free night the Saturday after the release, so I took myself to the movies, to see Chasing Mavericks.

It was AWESOME. Blow you out of the water, leaves you astounded awesome. Beautiful and moving and heartbreaking and healing. I left the theater a mess.

Here's the trailer. Chasing Mavericks Official Site.

Read THIS and then read THIS. Then, go see Chasing Mavericks.

with love, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment